Re: Most sophisticated free firewall?

Kayman <khkay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Leythos wrote:
"...it was very interesting to see a few things:

1) Windows firewall failed all test :) "

Which isn't very surprising, since the Windows-Firewall doesn't do
outbound filtering, and doesn't claim to do it. The tests are targeted
at firewalls that *claim* to be capable of outbound filtering.

Leythos' statement above is equivalent to "A-ha! Windows notepad fails
at detecting viruses!!1eleventeen". Duh.

Well, yes. The way I understand is that Windows firewall never
claimed to filter outbound applications.

Correct.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich

  • Re: Microsoft Windows Vista includes a two-way firewall. TO THE TOP
    ... The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy' wrote: ... info doesn't work since there is nowhere to make such a change in the Windows Firewall window that comes up. ... I bet you didn't know that Microsoft Windows Vista includes a two-way firewall. ... How To Turn On Outbound Filtering ...
  • Re: Microsoft Windows Vista includes a two-way firewall. TO THE TOP
    ... info doesn't work since there is nowhere to make such a change in the Windows Firewall window that comes up. ... I bet you didn't know that Microsoft Windows Vista includes a two-way firewall. ... I'm not quite sure why Microsoft made this decision but from a security point of view it would have made perfect sense to have it enabled by default. ... How To Turn On Outbound Filtering ...
  • Re: Microsoft Windows Vista includes a two-way firewall. TO THE TOP
    ... info doesn't work since there is nowhere to make such a change in the Windows Firewall window that comes up. ... I bet you didn't know that Microsoft Windows Vista includes a two-way firewall. ... I'm not quite sure why Microsoft made this decision but from a security point of view it would have made perfect sense to have it enabled by default. ... How To Turn On Outbound Filtering ...
  • Re: Tech In Education
    ... >>Why is that surprising? ... Is Windows really so bad that you can't believe that it will work even 3 ... > attention from an Apple problem. ... Since there was no Apple problem, I couldn't be attempting to wave off ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Cross-platform development
    ... programming paradigms and reinvent various development tools ... I'm not a developer but it's surprising that ... Windows 16 was actually pretty similar to Mac OS; ... Pascal code that would, with proper variable structures and ifdefs, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)