Re: Most sophisticated free firewall?

Leythos wrote:

"...it was very interesting to see a few things:

1) Windows firewall failed all test :) "

Well, yes. The way I understand is that Windows firewall never claimed to
filter outbound applications.
---
And:

"3) It provides proof that the Windows XP Firewall is all but useless."

Ineffective as for performing outbound application filtering.
---
And:

"Thanks for providing the link, I will attempt to learn about the site
owners."

You are welcome.
Global firewalls 'outbound application filtering' ranking
Global firewalls 'outbound application filtering' ranking
When available, please post your finding with respect to the site owners.

  • Re: Microsoft TechNet Magazine Article about Outbound Filtering
    ... why is there so much noise about outbound ... "The program NotAVirus.exe wants to communicate on ... The fact is, despite everyone's best efforts, outbound filtering is ... software firewall that monitors ougoing connections (if it just doesnt ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Port 443 Outbound
    ... If you've done what you should with your network then malware has gotten behind your network because *it* has admin access, and it is trivial for malware to *use* that admin access to reconfigure a firewall, whether that is software or hardware. ... Agreed - I would much rather nothing got on the network in the first place and have Trend and auditing set up but surely a device that could monitor 443 outbound would only act as an extra layer of defence? ... No no...an edge device is used for inbound blocking and filtering, but is not an effective security boundary for malware already in your network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Firewall of SP2 is good?
    ... then it cannot send any outbound traffic. ... The "App Control" in Windows Firewall is to permit unsolicited inbound ... connections to an application. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: I might bite bullet on SP2..but!
    ... Windows Firewall will automatically allow all outbound connections, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Mcafee Startup
    ... I've become convinced, however, that outbound protection is ... circumventing the firewall. ... If you open up your Windows Firewall Settings and open the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)