Re: 64-Bit Software Firewall

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
Grimscythe wrote:

Sebastian,
I really don't understand how you can say that a firewall is
unnecessary for the average home user.

Actually there's a quite trivial argument: Average home users don't have
any clue about TCP/IP and/or networking. And from a technical point of
view, the need doesn't exist either.

There are times when simply by
going on google and doing a simple search can lead to spyware appearing
on your computer.

Not just that this is utter bullshit, but totally unrelated. A firewall
can't do anything against spyware.

Nowadays, every single computer connected to the
internet is under a constant threat of spyware, trojans, viruses, etc.

Bullshit. Those are all tools for the user himself to threaten his
computer.

If you can't see that then you must be very naive.

Can just return that. You believe in a firewall being like magic.
First of all, explain to me exactly why you think that the need doesn't
exist.
Secondly, there are some firewalls that offer spyware prevention.
Thirdly, Spyware and Trojans are not "TOOLS" for the user to threaten
his own computer as you.
And no, I don't believe that firewalls are "magic" but there are many
people, including several in this Usenet Group I'm sure, who would
disagree with you.

  • Re: Please Help...Very Confused!!!
    ... The Windows firewall is poor at preventing these attacks ... infected systems and a list of FREE TO DOWNLOAD firewalls ... >knowledgeable than your average home user). ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: XP Fire wall
    ... The XP firewall covers all incoming very well.. ... this will undoubtedly change when the final release of SP2 ... > But for the average home user how does it fair against say Zone Alarm Pro? ...
  • Re: Help on SEARCH with MSN
    ... It is not spyware or any of those as I have them all ... You should periodically defragment your hard drives as well as check them ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Spyware problems
    ... > spyware, and a link to a removal site. ... Depends on what "no matter what I do" includes... ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Security
    ... Mike mistakenly refers to our product as spyware. ... WeatherBug because we are not. ... > Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)