UDP broadcast and NAT

Hello,

It's my understanding that UDP broadcast messages are never
transmitted across NAT. Can someone tell me if that is correct?
Or, if it is possible, under what circumstances.

I am considering putting together some code which broadcasts
messages. I'm trying to avoid broadcasting outside of the local
network; I don't want to generate unneeded traffic.

Sorry for this simple-minded question. Any light you can shed on
this topic is much appreciated.

Robert Dodier

  • Re: "message too long" when sending broadcasts
    ... send broadcast packets of a certain size). ... >>Is there any size restriction for UDP broadcast messages? ... Berkeley-derived kernels do not allow a broadcast datagram to be fragmented. ... prevents a kernel from fragmenting a broadcast datagram, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: DSL-Router-Aktion bei IP-Wechsel
    ... Vermutlich nur ein anderes und eben nicht per Broadcast. ... Den Kernel hat das genau gar nicht zu interessieren. ... Standard fuer NAT bei IPv6. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.networking.misc)
  • Re: UDP broadcast and NAT
    ... A broadcast is directed to all hosts on the same subnet, ... the target of a broadcast can never be on the remote side of a NAT ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Need to identify source of WM_TIMER messages
    ... (It's my understanding that Windows messages, ... can be "broadcast" to all top-level messages by calling ...
  • *REAL QUESTION* - 70-291: VLSMs
    ... I'm studying for the 70-291 and I'm having a hard time understanding ... Below is an example Class B default network that I ... subnet (2 assignable, 1 net id, 1 broadcast) ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa)