Re: A Hardware and Software Firewall Combination (I got Hacked!)

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
Ron Lopshire wrote:

It doesn't matter whether you have the latest version of Java/JRE or not. What matters is that you have removed the previous versions known to be vulnerable. The Java installers will not do that for you. You have to do it manually.

Firefox uses only the most recent version of Java by default, so it doesn't
care about any old versions installed.

It is my understanding, Sebastian, that that is not the point. Vulnerable versions of Java/JDK/JRE _must_ be removed in order to mitigate the vulnerability, irrespective of which versions are actually used. As I said, I am relying on the advice of Java aficionados. I don't use it.

IIUC, at some point this scenario is/was supposed to change. Whether it has or not, I do not know.

Rather not. It's good to be able to have multiple versions of Java (f.e.
1.5, 1.4.2 and 1.6 Beta) running in parallel.

I don't understand that at all. Perhaps an official release and a Beta version for testing purposes, but other than that, why? It reminds me of Adobe Acrobat. Almost none of the documents produced with early versions (<5) were compatible with other versions. And so, the installation of multiple versions was required in order to read a document from some idiot who fell for the Adobe pdf hype. That is another thing that I got rid of --- all Adobe crapware.

I don't use Java.

Java is a quite common runtime for many applications. Even OpenOffice uses
it, and this one is rather unavoidable on a typical workstation.

None that I use. Nothing against Java, per se, but I currently don't need it. That is why I uninstalled it. Got tired of updating it every couple of months due to the incompetence of the Sun developers. If I had a need for Java, I would re-install it and keep it updated. I got rid of the .NET Framework for the same reasons.

I haven't tried OOo since I have Office 2003 installed. It is my understanding that the VBA and VBIDE support in OOo absolutely sucks, and VBA for Excel and Access are the only things that I need anyway.

I have spent over 10 years developing my Excel apps, and by the time I ported them into another app and/or platform, I would be dead anyway. I rue the day that I ever decided to use Excel, but that is neither here nor there. I am stuck with it.

Ron :)
.