What is Generic Host Process for Win32 Services with the file name/path C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe and does it need server permission to work properly?

Hello

I have just started getting ridiculous amounts alerts from my firewall
program (ZoneAlarm by ZoneLabs), which say that it had blocked
'Generic Host Process for Win32' from accepting a connection from
the internet. When I look in the program list in ZoneAlarm I see that
this program 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' with file
name/path C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe is set not to allow it to
have server permission for the Internet Zone. It is however set to have
access permission.

I don't know what this program is, but does it require server
permission for the Internet zone to work properly?

Also when ZoneAlarm says 'blocked...from accepting a connection from
the internet' does this mean the program in question was trying to
act as a server? (I assume that if it were to accept a connection from
the internet this would imply that it had not made the connection
request itself and so would be trying to act as a server but not sure).

I don't know what has caused ZoneAlarm to suddenly act like this.
Before this happened I had installed xampp (so that I can use my
computer as a server to test php pages) but I don't see how this
could have affected ZoneAlarm. Also I had decided to have a closer look
at ZoneAlarm just before this happened but didn't notice making any
changes to it whatsoever.

Is it safe to change 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' so it
has server permission for the Internet Zone? And if it is why didn't
it need to do this before?

Any help most welcome!

AM

.