Re: Firewalls and Cryptography

In article <45334d51@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bumens@xxxxxxxxxxx says...
BobS <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Your statement was that a firewall cannot protect against viruses. They
can.

Seems to be a problem of definitions.

make statements that are ill defined and then decide to bend it to suit you
when someone calls you on it.

I'm trying to be exact now:

A Virus Scanner is something, that detects malware in streams or in
persistent data ("detecting negative things"). I'm not using virus
scanners, which search RAM, because I think they're useless.

Code red worm is a memory resident worm that doesnt write to the file
system.Why would you say a virus scanner that searchs ram is useless?
me

  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... >>fallibility is not the same as uselessness... ... > I've yet to see a virus scanner advertised as being fallible. ... bearing on whether or not the product is useless or useful... ... "they threw a rope around yer neck to watch you dance the jig of death ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... >>fallibility is not the same as uselessness... ... > I've yet to see a virus scanner advertised as being fallible. ... bearing on whether or not the product is useless or useful... ... "they threw a rope around yer neck to watch you dance the jig of death ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... > Jason Edwards wrote: ... >> Virus scanners are useless for exactly the reason that you are ... > fallibility is not the same as uselessness... ... I've yet to see a virus scanner advertised as being fallible. ...
    (alt.computer.security)