Re: false portscan alarm

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
<45381815.820501561@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GEO" Me@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

(Moe Trin) wrote:

What _are_ you using instead, Trumpet Winsock?

Trumpet Winsock version 2.0 revision B. It looked as if version 3
might stop working after 30 days, so I kept version 2.0.

Oh, my! How old is _that_ stuff?

Since Windows 3.1 did not try so hard to be everything to everybody
it did not include so many programs, and I guess it was designed with
a single, isolated, user in mind.

It certainly was single user, and as I recall, it was also single tasking.
You could have several applications open (I think) but I'm pretty sure only
one was actually running at a time. I vaguely remember that it was only
six or seven high density floppies - call it 8 Megs max.

Terminal? There is a very nice program called Procomm Plus version
2.1 for Windows 3.1. I know there is a version for Windows 95, and I
believe it even had a DOS version.

PRCM243.ARC 03-17-89 PROCOMM VER 2.4.3, ADDS YMODEM G PROTOCOL 142848

That's off a BBS directory listing. Version 2.4.2 was being used in the
fall of 1987, but wasn't available when this listing was made. I'm sure
that _somewhere_ in the garage, there is a box with a manual and the single
floppy it came on. Procomm was one of the standards of the era.

Old guy

  • User cannot connect to network printer
    ... I run a 40 node SBS 2000 domain with 100% Windows XP clients. ... experiencing a problem with a single user and no others on the domain. ... which I installed on the server and shared in the directory like ... was a roaming profile issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: Ive dumped Linux and moved to Windows XP.
    ... > obviously unnecessary on a single user system. ... system security on Windows systems that are otherwise in a complete ... The average unpatched Windows installation cannot ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Raw Convertors
    ... where multiple users, especially multiple concurrent users, are ... But *not* by a single user. ... But the point that got made was that Windows is *still* ... assuming the original app won't work in a compatibility mode. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Ive dumped Linux and moved to Windows XP.
    ... > obviously unnecessary on a single user system. ... system security on Windows systems that are otherwise in a complete ... The average unpatched Windows installation cannot ...
    (sci.electronics.cad)
  • Re: Ive dumped Linux and moved to Windows XP.
    ... > obviously unnecessary on a single user system. ... system security on Windows systems that are otherwise in a complete ... The average unpatched Windows installation cannot ...
    (sci.electronics.design)