Re: false portscan alarm

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:46:49 -0500, ibuprofin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Moe Trin) wrote:

I use Windows 3.1, it does not even know what is this Messenger thing.

Sweet Mother Of... well, at least it was the most network secure version
of windoze out of the box. What _are_ you using instead, Trumpet Winsock?

Trumpet Winsock version 2.0 revision B. It looked as if version 3
might stop working after 30 days, so I kept version 2.0.
Under 'Trace' it has some options that give me an idea of what is
involved in the communication. Peter Tattam wrote a nice little
program.

Updates? What's that?

You have a point there. If I recall correctly, the only updates were
incorporated quietly into the releases. I don't off hand even remember
back-ports or updates to existing installations. But then, how would you
even obtain them? Dial in with Windoze Terminal to your favorite BBS?

Since Windows 3.1 did not try so hard to be everything to everybody
it did not include so many programs, and I guess it was designed with
a single, isolated, user in mind.

Terminal? There is a very nice program called Procomm Plus version
2.1 for Windows 3.1. I know there is a version for Windows 95, and I
believe it even had a DOS version.

Geo

  • Re: eMachines OEM XP woes - time to buy $tandard?
    ... >>> under Windoze. ... Let's say one wants to install NVU. ... Now show how much easier it is to install MS Office on Linux than ... Windows OS's from Win3.1 to Windows 2003 Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [OT]: OS as religions
    ... 'over windoze' so windoze is no longer usable as the OS and the windoze ... And you suggest I teach her to install and use Linux & open office. ... choice_ -- it's windows or windows, ... and many proprietary apps only run on windows. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Victory for ignorance
    ... BootCamp run Windows Vista faster than ANY IBM derived PC on the ... If Apple hardware is what you want, that's fine, but stick to Boot Camp. ... WinDoze-only apps I run on XP inside of Parallels, ... WinDoze crap makes zero sense to me when Parallels literally ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: How many times can i install XP on same computer
    ... That's the typical way one works with Windoze. ... Most Windows Users NEVER EVER installed a Windows OS, ... > the most common "solution" is to wipe the drive and install from scratch. ... >> Can you say the same with Linux? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: just relaunched myself when i got called a "wintendo user"
    ... don't need a degree to install Windows, ... Windows is stable. ... Windoze is about as stable as a straw hut in a moderate breeze, ... over Bonjour, for example, and it would only attack user installed ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)