Re: Privacy/Security: How to change my IP address daily or weekly on DSL

In comp.security.firewalls #2 Aluxe <nottelling@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18 Oct 2006 20:01:15 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
In comp.security.firewalls Aluxe <aluxelocochon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The only minor gotcha I know about is there is apparently a
(hidden?) bit on the MAC address which indicates whether you are
using the burned-in MAC or a modified MAC.

There's no such thing.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but, as I understand it, there is
such a thing.

No.

Maybe I'm reading the literature wrong

Yes, you are.

http://www.synapse.de/ban/HTML/P_LAYER2/Eng/P_lay207.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address
http://www.answers.com/topic/mac-address

If I read these correctly, a bit is set that indicates whether you
changed the hardware MAC address via software.

You don't read them correctly. A MAC address is just a 6 byte (octet, to
be precise) number. If you manually assign a MAC address you can assign
any number you want, with or without the "globally unique" bit (which is
probably what you are referring to) set. There's nothing hidden about
it.

And will you please stop the crossposting?

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich