Re: Firewalls and Cryptography

BobS <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers" <usenet-2006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BobS <noone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No doubt you can write a virus that will be "new" for a brief period
and after it hits the first computer - it's no longer new.

Not true. A new virus remains new to any virus scanner as long as
noone has detected and analyzed it and created a signature for the
respective virus scanner. If the virus keeps a low profile that can
be quite a while.

My unstated assumption was that the virus did it's dirty work and was
detected by a user. Doesn't need a signature file made by an AV
company to have a "detected" stamp placed on it. Like anything else,
it only remains new until used once....

You're still wrong, because a virus may very well do its "dirty work"
without being spotted by a user if it keeps a low profile (i.e. doesn't
interfere with the user's day-to-day work). And unless a signature is
created for it the virus still remains new to anyone else despite being
spotted by a user.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich

  • Re: Hotmail not scanned?
    ... As long as you have the regular NAV client installed on your computer, ... it will detect viruses from any and all email programs. ... if you received a virus or worm-infected email and forwarded it on to a ... fixed if your friend has a virus scanner installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Free Virus Scanner Programs
    ... virus scanner and I hope that I don't have to re-install XP. ... AVG had at least a couple of virus active on them - I believe the ... Sysclean executable - you can't run it from CD-R as it needs to unpack ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: The Coalition against Personal Firewalls
    ... www.download-more-viruses.com not be detected as a virus? ... Making this change to Volker's program will change the signature and then it's ... Find a virus scanner which detects Volker's code as a virus. ... Compile your own code which connects to a different http server. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: [SLE] Virus Alert ( Im getting all your junk! )
    ... Virus Alert (I'm getting all your junk! ... > bounces due to a virus scanner finding the virus, ... It forged the headers to make it ... Are you running Postfix? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Bloodhound.exploit.6 Trojan
    ... It is not clear to me that you have removed this virus. ... virus scanner such as Housecall from Trend Micro. ... of links to various online virus scanners at the end of this thread. ... How can I get my computer to go into safe mode? ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)