Re: security question

"sil" <dsphunxion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1160229601.088565.100330@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leythos wrote:
In article <eg84j0$45j$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sinisac@xxxxxxxxxxxx says...
If i am using 4 LAn computers with ADSL connection and all 4 of them
connects
to internet trough router(router you recommend it :) How can i best
protect
one LAn computer which is
very important for me regarding the security from other 3 LAn computers
which i would not watch alot
to be clean from viruses ,Trojans etc.
Is the threat that comes from my 3 LAn computers bigger than internet
threat?

Install a second router, connect it's WAN connection to the LAN
connection on the first router, then connect the important computer to
the second routers LAN. This will allow the important computer to get
internet access and to reach the other computers, but it won't allow the
first three computers to reach the important one because NAT would block
it.

--

spam999free@xxxxxxxxxx
remove 999 in order to email me

Waste of money. You can properly configure your computer's firewall to
block internal machines,

So what about the time at boot and login, when the personal FW cannot be
started first before anything else? It can be like the TCP connection is
started and other machines on the LAN with malware can access the machine,
because the FW was not made available before TCP was started on the machine
and was available.

even most routers now have firewall
functionality built in.

Routers do segregation of networks even in a home environment. The router
doesn't have to be booted and started, unlike a host based solution running
on a computer, which will not allow a machine to be attacked behind a router
because it's never down or booted like what would happen on a host based
solution.

If I want total separations of machines in a LAN situation, I would be doing
it with a two router solution.

You can get a second good router on sale for about $20.

Duane :)

..

  • Re: Changing the Default Gateway
    ... I agree that I can't see how the WAN side of the router would have anything ... is saying that the folks changed the internal LAN IP of the router to .222. ... this new MPLS internet connetion and phase out the Frame router. ... All tests passed on this DNS server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RAS - Routingproblem? DNS? Wins?
    ... ging übers Kabelmodem ins Internet und die andere ins LAN. ... Adapter und über diesen nam der Router externe Anrufe unseres Aussenlagers ... anderen PCs ganz normal mit 1 Netzwerkkarte im LAN angehängt ist. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)
  • RAS - Routingproblem? DNS? Wins?
    ... ging übers Kabelmodem ins Internet und die andere ins LAN. ... Adapter und über diesen nam der Router externe Anrufe unseres Aussenlagers ... anderen PCs ganz normal mit 1 Netzwerkkarte im LAN angehängt ist. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)
  • Re: CEICW Network Error
    ... Normally with a router in the mix, the router gets the public IP ... address on its WAN side and its LAN side is given a private IP ... Please post results of an ipconfig /all for sbs server. ... Users brought in another tech and messed up internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Black Ice and smb
    ... That way you will not get the message from BlackIce. ... behind the router. ... Since you are behind two firewalls with both your machines, ... When you're connected to the Internet ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)