Re: Zone Alarm (Freeware-) stopped reporting intrustions..

kingthorin@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
No, it's not the same thing. AV software is supposed to detect known
malware patterns and block access to files where it detects them. That
it can do reliably.
So because it doesn't protect you from unknown attacks "you can't rely
on it it doesn't count as a security measure."

Anti Virus software does not protect from viruses. You may not rely on
it.

Anti Virus software does filter out already known viruses. You may rely
on it.

"Personal Firewalls" don't prevent malware from "phoning home", which is
already running on a machine. You cannot rely on it.

"Personal Firewalls" prevent legal software from doing online software
updates. You can rely on it.

Yours,
VB.
--
Viel schlimmer als die Implementation von PHP ist jedoch das Design.

Rudolf Polzer in de.comp.security.misc

  • Re: Zone Alarm (Freeware-) stopped reporting intrustions..
    ... Anti Virus software does filter out already known viruses. ... Hence the need for outbound filtering is not a myth. ... I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Pirate software for PPC
    ... They might cause damage to your desktop PC - but, ... The only viruses I know of for the ppc are test viruses in the wild as ... You don't need anti virus software on the ppc, ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: Pirate software for PPC
    ... potentiall damage any perephirals connected to it? ... Highly unlikely - no such viruses have been written so far. ... You don't need anti virus software on the ppc, ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: OT Virus Protection
    ... My only experience with Mcafee"s anti virus software is that the damn ... thing would no longer scan for viruses after it was installed for 1 ... Fuck Mcafee!!!!!! ... Prev by Date: ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)
  • Re: Is anti virus software needed?
    ... There are no Windows Mobile viruses in the wild, so no, it's not ... there are some PPC viruses that have been creaated for ... You probably don't need anti virus software on the ppc, ... there are viruses that take advantage of Bluetooth. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)