Re: Sonicwall TZ 170 Wireless - Opinions

BobS wrote:
Looking for opinions, good or bad about the Sonicwall TZ 170 wireless router/firewall. Have a small-business client with 8 workstations and a couple of wireless laptops where this certainly "looks" like a good fit from what I've read. Have also talked with sales at Sonicwall and browsed their moderated forums plus a lot of googling. Have not found any real negatives but that's why I'm asking here too.....

Ordered the 10 license version with the Gateway AV service and a year of 24/7 tech support and will be installing it - or maybe sending it back - depending on what I hear form some real-world users.

I did due diligence and really could not find a trend of anything negative about it and since it's been around for a couple of years - it seems to be a reasonable choice. Read several forums where the comments about it being difficult to set up (those were expected) to it working as advertised. I'll go thru the learning exercise and eventually get that figured out but I'm more concerned with bugs or other design anomalies like it reboots, shut's down the net, goes buh-bye for unknown reasons......???

The UTM feature is a real plus in this network since I can take off the anti-virus software running on each workstation (no floppies) and hopefully gain a small margin of speed for each. I expect a small hit on the internet access due to the Gateway service but is it a noticeable hit on cable-modem (2Mb/s) service?

One other related question. Anyone found a repeater that will work with it - reliably? Have a small office (sheet metal covered room) that will be 100' from the router that I need to install an antenna on the outside of the room and feed some CAT 5 cable to the laptop located in that room. Theoretically any compliant repeater should do the trick but have you got one that you know works? I'll have a clear line of sight to the repeater from the TZ 170 location and the client does not want to run cable. This laptop will also be placed on a cart and rolled around the shop outside that room when needed.

So far, we do not have any complaints about the TZ 170 or the TZ 150.

You may be able to save a few bucks and go with the TZ 150 instead if you keep the systems under 20. If you are planning to go over 20, then
I would get the 170.

moncho

  • Sonicwall TZ 170 Wireless - Opinions
    ... router/firewall. ... Have a small-business client with 8 workstations and a ... room and feed some CAT 5 cable to the laptop located in that room. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • New laptop means new profile, new headaches....
    ... profile to do it all, doesnt want to log on with different accounts. ... My mistake was joining his laptop to the office domain (Laptop is XP ... "remembered" is that both his home and office workstations logged on ... POP configuration instead of a direct Exchange link. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Office 2003 SP2 false detection?
    ... server from re-applying Office 2003 SP2 to all my workstations last night. ... One user with a laptop took his laptop home last night, ... the network and did not get SP2 reapplied to it by my WSUS server, ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • I think I setup my home laptop wrong...going back...
    ... SBS2003>Switch >XP Pro Workstations ... I recently purchased a laptop partly for my wife to use at home (with XP ... so it got most of its "settings" from the server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: File Share Security
    ... In a Windows 2000 domain default installation a domain ... workstations to the domain" in Domain Controller Security Policy under user rights. ... Perhaps you were thinking of user accounts. ... communications] is required and laptop does not have it configured, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)