Re: Zone Alarm (Freeware-) stopped reporting intrustions..

"With a smart attacker it's irrelevant whether the users are stupid or
smart, they will never notice, because the malware bypasses the
outbound traffic control so that no notification whatsoever is
generated."

So protection from the dumb attackers is pointless? I'm sorry but I
disagree. My bandwidth, CPU cycles, memory usage, and storage are not
pointless things to protect. I agree that outbound filtering won't
protect everyone from smart attackers but it can protect you and your
valuable resources fromt he dumb ones.

I'm not claiming that outbound filtering is a perfect solution by any
means, however, I still maintain that it's ridiculous to call it's
usefulness a myth.

  • Re: Zone Alarm (Freeware-) stopped reporting intrustions..
    ... Basically some guy at MS deems the need for Outbound Traffic Filtering ... one), and this was the reason, why this user bought the "security ... because online software updates protect ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zonealarm altnernatives
    ... The XP firewall doesn't protect against ... > with no outbound protection, ... I don't see people running to get the SP2 fix. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • [opensuse] Re: Interactive Firewall Needed
    ... outbound connection should be the least of your worries. ... popup" scheme simply does not work. ... to protect themselves. ... That's a difference between ZA and UAC - UAC wasn't really a user ...
    (SuSE)