Re: Zone Alarm (Freeware-) stopped reporting intrustions..

"And if you think it can block malicious outbound traffic see
Microsofts
statement at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/05/SecurityMy...
the chapter "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to
be Safe. " "

Did you actually read the informtaion you're referring people to?
Basically some guy at MS deems the need for Outbound Traffic Filtering
as a myth because the majority of users are too stupid to understand
that's going on when prompted to allow/deny the traffic.

That's like saying "Myth: Need for strong passwords including capital
letters". So because someone might not realize their caps key is on
then we shouldn't allow people to put capital letters in passwords.

Just because his grandmother likes "sexy dancing pigs" and clicks "ok"
without knowing what she's talking about doesn't mean that Outbound
Traffic filtering is a useless security feature to the rest of us. (As
demonstraighted my MSs inclusion of outbound filtering in Vista).

  • Re: Wireless PCI card
    ... Gulli wrote: ... Mac address filtering is also an option if that is your only concern. ... Unfortunately that is a myth: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Do I really need a FW besides WXP
    ... to let it happily send your passwords away without warning you as well. ... And this is a very good idea, because filtering the PINs and passwords ... data security to filter away to hide something. ... Complete this yourself for usual PINs with 4 or 5 digits and a small ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: The right way to protect passwords?
    ... probability catch typos etc, but wouldn't be very useful for filtering out ... possible passwords from a brute force attack. ...
    (sci.crypt)