Re: firewalls and a static IP address

bill.oneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have a situation where multiple customers allow remote access through
a firewall via SSH, Remote Access Cards, etc. All the customers allow
access ONLY from the same specific IP address.

My question is, is there a hardware device, router, etc that would
allow a nomadic user via a laptop to connect with; which then allow the
laptop to have the same external IP address as the device/network
(which just so happens to be the IP address the customers allow through
their firewalls)?

If I understand you correctly, you want a device you can plug a laptop
into that'll give it a specific, routable public IP address on whatever
arbitrary network you happen to be connected to?

No. There is no device that'll let you use a specific public IP address
in an arbitrary network. The first router you hit outbound will
probably drop your traffic because the packet's source address is not
in its network. Secondly, how would the return traffic get back to you?

  • Re: System Restore Keeping Only One Restore Point
    ... but I am not a security expert and never claimed to be ... firewall isn't a good firewall you also misunderstood my view of the ... customers have asked Microsoft for a method, ... Not all customers want all of their applications to be ...
  • Re: Thinking about wpgrading from NIS 2002 to 2003 any comments?
    ... > | The problem is that each time you upgrade a Norton firewall, ... > THERE'S NO VALID REASON WHY THIS FUNCTIONALITY SHOULD NOT STILL BE PRESENT ... called Managed Settings. ... I'm referring to those customers who upgrade ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: System Restore Keeping Only One Restore Point
    ... impression of improving your security without doing anything that actually ... firewall isn't a good firewall you also misunderstood my view of the ... customers have asked Microsoft for a method, ... Not all customers want all of their applications to be ...
  • Re: Wrt54G is a FW appliance?
    ... A Cisco router with a firewall feature set is a firewall. ... You're now attempting to move the goalposts from 'certification' to 'tested ... Some of us do have customers who require high packet rate gig-e solutions, ... >that are willing to risk their business reputations on unproven solutions ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Local disk access horribly slow
    ... Almost all computers at a certain customers location ... also can't seem to copy a 500MB file through sftp through the firewall. ... Access to the local disk is extremely slow. ...