Re: Firewall newbie! Which free one??

mcv wrote:
Hi,
Skint student here so have to stick with the free firewall software.
Had a little look on google but every program is recommended in one way
or another.
I like using Zone alarm on both my computers, win 2k and xp pro.
As it tells me when something is trying to access the net, and it seems
pretty reliable to me.
So should I keep using it? Or remove it from my XP machine as it comes
with a built in firewall, but to me it does not look as good.
Any comments or suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

I use a router w/basic firewall and the XP firewall. This suite me fine as it is the least obtrusive setup. ZoneAlarm, Kerio etc. can notify you of something trying to connect out that you may not want connecting out but more serious malware can bypass the firewall so it is actually better to use a port monitor to see what traffic is connecting in/out. ZoneAlarm is the easiest to use but if you ant something more complete give NetVeda Safety.Net a shot, can be a bit daunting to setup though as it is much more than a firewall. Kerio is easy and ok too.

http://www.netveda.com/consumer/safetynet.htm

  • Re: DCOM and Window firewall - OT
    ... >>> The Windows ~firewall~ is not a true firewall anyway, ... >>> could do would be to dump it and install a real firewall such as Kerio. ... >>Kerio has over other products such as ZoneAlarm Pro? ... > Two or three go rounds in that movie led me to install Norton AV. ...
  • Re: Free Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Tiny Personal Firewall
    ... including with the firewall and Windoz. ... Try same tests with Kerio Firewall 2.1.4 ... > Tiny and Kerio have almost identical user interfaces. ... ZoneAlarm gives a warning from maybe almost every suspicious packet, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Free Firewalls: ZoneAlarm vs Tiny Personal Firewall
    ... including with the firewall and Windoz. ... Try same tests with Kerio Firewall 2.1.4 ... > Tiny and Kerio have almost identical user interfaces. ... ZoneAlarm gives a warning from maybe almost every suspicious packet, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Why choose Kerio instead of ZA?
    ... will need and have to pay for a more elaborate firewall. ... > I've been using ZoneAlarm for 6 months, and I was very happy with it. ... I decided to try Kerio. ... > My WindowsXP didn't have the proper critical patches... ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Leopard keeps picking up a spoofed IP
    ... Was in the Apple store and this problem flummoxed the Genuis Bar guy. ... Mac, bad Ethernet port on whatever you're connecting to, wireless connection ... problems, dead network, other possible problems) or software (incorrectly set ... firewall incorrectly set configd will not run. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)