Re: Home Firewall vs Corporate Firewall

A Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall/Router has SPI. It can allow/block specific
services such as PPTP, telnet, IMAP, SMTP, DNS, POP3, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.
All
For $80.

NO IT CAN'T, it can only block ports. The cheap units can not tell the
difference between ANY of those protocols running on ANY port.

YES, YOU'RE RIGHT! :) The config has a pull-down to block those services,
as I noted, but now that I actually select those options I see that all it
does is to auto-fill the field with the customary port for those services.
So... sorry.

Anyhow... back to the original thread...

-Frank

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Windows networking specifics (Was: re: Annoying pop-ups)
    ... > there has been a precise question "which port is used for windows ... Here's an abject lesson in windows networking: ... - Block ports 136-445, ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Mail server recommendations
    ... I´d tell them otherwise than to block ports. ... spamassassin (in case I ever decide to work around the port 25 block) ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Port Scanning
    ... and can block ports in there and ... Norton Firewall where you can chose incoming and outgoing. ... > I'm on Telewest Blueyonder Broadband in the UK and reaquainted myself ... > port intrusion, some from Blueyonder IP's, some not. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Port Scanning
    ... and can block ports in there and ... Norton Firewall where you can chose incoming and outgoing. ... > I'm on Telewest Blueyonder Broadband in the UK and reaquainted myself ... > port intrusion, some from Blueyonder IP's, some not. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: TCP/IP Filtering
    ... > I used TCP/IP filtering to block ports, then I allowed port 80 for HTTP ... There's no logging. ...