Re: advise please on what ports to block?

I've tried configuring the router so that it cuts him off at 10pm,
(leaving the older children online) but it just doesn't seem to do
it's job

can anyone advise the procedure for this? by leaving port settings
blank does it mean it blocks them all? I've tried specifically setting
port 80 to shut off but it doesn't, internet explorer works as if
nothing has changed.

What router are you talking about?

I realise tha the game probably uses different ports but have no idea
what they are. what's the ideal port range and procedure to shut
everything down on his pc?

You would simply install Active Ports or TCPview on the machine, start either one of them and start the program in question. Each of the programs mentioned which are free will tell you the port or ports being used by the program.

If the router has the ability to set rules to stop inbound or outbound traffic by port, then you can set rules to block the port or ports the application is using or by IP and port if the router can set rules by IP.

Most likey, the kid's machine will be using the same DHCP IP, because on a small LAN with few machines, the IP assigned to his machine will not change and will be static in that regard. Hopefully, the kid will not be slick enough to know how to get a new IP assigned to his machine.

Also, if the router has a syslog, then you can use something like WallWatcher and watch all traffic that's coming to and leaving the router by IP.

WW is free too.

http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

For all you know, some wireless hacker could join your wireless network and play the game too.

It may or may not help you.

http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

Duane :)

  • Galveston?
    ... I am very curious regarding cruise lines leaving from Galveston. ... doing 4,5 and 7 day cruises from that port year round. ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Can allowing ftp compromise security?
    ... ]> Ever since somebody broke into my Linux last year I am leery of leaving ... I am wondering if leaving port 21 open for ftp access would ... ]> really make my RedHat Linux box vulnerable. ... Any open port is a security hazard. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Law Change?
    ... first stop at a foreign port after leaving an American port before ... from RCI on the Grandeur leaving Baltimore & then arriving in Miami. ... at a foreign port before stopping an another US port? ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Law Change?
    ... first stop at a foreign port after leaving an American port before ... from RCI on the Grandeur leaving Baltimore & then arriving in Miami. ... at a foreign port before stopping an another US port? ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Wilma. Crap.
    ... > I'm supposed to leave on a Disney Cruise this coming Saturday, leaving ... > from Port ... > Canaveral for Key West on Sunday. ...
    (rec.boats)