Re: Best way to go?

Rick Bruner wrote:
The college where I work is (finally) allowing me to install an
enterprise firewall this summer, so I'm in need of opinions as to what
people here think are the best solutions more than anything else.

I am looking to have no more than 1000 computers managed, with three
zones (students, staff/faculty and DMZ). I need to control P2P, and I
would *like* to have a decent IDS system.

So is a hardware appliance better than a software solution? I'm no
Linux person at all (we're an all-Windows environment), but anything
can be learned, so I don't want to rule out a software solution if it
is a better fit. Also, solution cost has been and always will be a
determining factor for me.

I realize everyone is likely to have their own favorite solution, but
I really do need to see what is being used in the real world.

TIA everyone!

Maybe, the link will help you. And whatever you get make sure it's ICSA certified.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

A software running on a host is only secure as you can make the host, including Linux.

Duane :)

  • Re: Flintstone Linux.
    ... >> are legal or not, of course, and Microsoft has already been ... >> Linux could succeed where the DoJ has not, though, so ... but was using Unix in 1980 ... *its* software solution is the best. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Best way to go?
    ... enterprise firewall this summer, so I'm in need of opinions as to what ... So is a hardware appliance better than a software solution? ... Linux person at all (we're an all-Windows environment), ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Should I go Mac or PC?. Neither!!
    ... The problem is that the Linux software solution has not improved ... grown, not just the OS, but the applications too. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Running multiple versions of Linux on the same box?
    ... Is there a way to run multiple versions of LINUX on the same machine? ... If there is not a software solution to this, how about hardware? ...
    (RedHat)
  • connecting two pc through an usb cable
    ... is there any software solution that could link two ... pcs (means create network btw them) through a normal A to A usb cable under ...
    (alt.linux)