Re: ZoneAlarm Settings

<dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:pFEgg.4886$im3.4707@xxxxxxxxxxx
Duane Arnold <different@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:f2Cgg.10538$523.8633@xxxxxxxxxxx
You could also try switching from windows to OpenBSD and using PF
as your firewall. Of course there is a rather steep learning curve.
--

The person can barely use ZA and you make a suggestion about switching
O/S?

I used to run Windows (with MKS Toolkit too). ZA's warning messages about
MS modules trying to call home are what made me switch to OpenBSD.

You can turn it off on some PFW's

Best thing I've done in years. Now running in text mode only because
of the big security hole opened up by giving video cards access to
main memory (google loic duflot).

I have never had a problem and I don't run PFW(s) on my network. However, I
do use one on this machine while sitting in this hotel room, as I got no
choice. But the App Control is disabled, which I did long ago.

Duane :)

  • Re: ZoneAlarm Settings
    ... as your firewall. ... Of course there is a rather steep learning curve. ... The person can barely use ZA and you make a suggestion about switching O/S? ... Duane:) ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: software/hardware Firewall tradeoff
    ... firewall, however most would disagree. ... What's with RFC 2979? ... Duane and perhaps Leythos don't like. ... You will find them from whoever his authorities are, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: how secure is a linux firewall?
    ... Duane:) ... With a Linux ... but that is true of any firewall. ... I'll agree with the other poster as to what is being said about a certified solution standalone appliance as opposed to a Linux solution. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: What a load a .........
    ... blocks outgoing but unlike incoming it doesn't alert you to an outgoing ... Server has ISA 2004 firewall and this no problem. ... I've heard of some people having success with switching off the ... "Advanced Networking" features on the mobile device itself and having ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)