Smoothwall vs Netgear router

Hi,
Looking from some advice please.

I have a small home network (Linux and Windows) connected to NTL cable through
a PC running Smoothwall. This works great but the Smoothwall hardware is
becoming unreliable and I need to think about a replacement. Also, I would
like to add wireless to my network. Options I am considering are:

1. Build a replacement Smoothwall to replace the existing one and put a
wireless access point on the network.

2. Replace the Smoothwall with a wireless router. The Netgear WGT624 has been
recommended to me but I'm open to suggestions.

The question I have is about the firewall capabilities of the Netgear (or
similar) compared with Smoothwall. Would my network be as secure with the
Netgear as with the Smoothwall? I only occasionally open up ports on the
Smoothwall, the rest of the time it runs "as supplied". To be safe from the
outside world with the Netgear, would I need firewalls on the machines on my
network?

Thanks in advance.
--
Dave.
dave (at) dhoulden (dot) demon (dot) co (dot) uk

  • Re: Smoothwall vs Netgear router
    ... This works great but the Smoothwall hardware is ... wireless access point on the network. ... If the router is ICSA certified, then you may want to get it. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: no tcp logs in smoothwall firewall
    ... >> All I get is UDP traffic logs of traffic passing by. ... I have been using Smoothwall for several years now, and so far my network ... By juggling the port lists a little bit, all users are now happy and nobody ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Smoothwall vs Netgear router
    ... I have a small home network connected to NTL cable ... This works great but the Smoothwall hardware is ... wireless access point on the network. ... If the router is ICSA certified, then you may want to get it. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Please can someone help me....?
    ... Network B ... The Smoothwall VPN connections are identical ... however if I traceroute from the firewall these hops ... smoothwall web interface displays that the connection is stopped but VPN ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)