Re: The importance of Securing Your Home Computer

Hey guys, don't have much time to respond thouroughly now, but wanted
to say thank you for all of your input.

I do perform much of what Jason said and will promote the importance of
hardware firewalls further.

Spyware is a serious issue because children and teens often don't know
what is valid and a threat... They often are the targets as well of
malicious spyware due to the content that attracts the stuff. i.e.
video gaming cheat sites, and other inappropriate sites.

Thanks again,

Regards...

Knabber

Jason Edwards wrote:
"Sebastian Gottschalk" <seppi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Jason Edwards wrote:

Beside that most NAT boxes don't do a proper job denying unrelated
inbound traffic.

Yes I know but they are better than nothing.

And do cost more than disabling unnecessary services and limit
connectivity. What a hassle. Sorry, but do you think fuzzing around with
port forwarding to get some thinks working is quite useful for clueless
people?

I find that clueless people think the Internet consists of browsing and email,
so there is no need for port forwarding.

I also find that most home users are incapable of disabling unnecessary
services, even if it's possible to get a download which does it for them.
Most home users don't know what a service is; never mind how to disable one or
why it should be disabled.

Goodnight

Jason

Soon they'll stumble across someone telling them to put their
host into the DMZ, effectively negating any security benefit from the box.

  • Re: The importance of Securing Your Home Computer
    ... What a hassle. ... port forwarding to get some thinks working is quite useful for clueless ... I find that clueless people think the Internet consists of browsing and email, ... I also find that most home users are incapable of disabling unnecessary ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Where is the IE zero day exploit in the news...
    ... > I think the point here is that home users (who usually are the people that ... > get crewed more often than not) deserve to be warned that using IE right ... > could easily post the news on their site...or popup a window when a ... clueless. ...
    (alt.computer.security)