Re: The importance of Securing Your Home Computer

DigitalFray@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I appreciate everyone's feedback but clearly I haven't been asked any
qualifying questions about the kinds of people I'm dealing with, other
business services I offer, nor are you recognizing the fact that there
are a lot of people who just aren't computer security experts.

Yeah, these are your fraud targets.

Of course there are loads and loads of ways to be uber secure and
prevent all but a nuclear bomb from going off in your box but some of
the feedback sounds a bit like a flame to me.

Sorry, but this is bullshit. Personal "firewall" don't even increase
security.

The simple fact that pop-up queues exist is because the application
cannot distinguish between legit traffic and illigitiment traffic. The
application (Zone Alarm in this case) asks users on the fly whether to
allow inbound and outbound traffic. I agree the descriptions and aid to
a user could be improved here since half the time they don't know which
button to click "allow / deny."

Not half the time, always. But the malware knows it 100% of the time.
These popups are just useless.

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite does
a good job because it handles spyware, viruses, and software firewall
as a single solution.

It doesn't, and a single solution is bad.

To get someone up and running and a first line of
defense, this is what I recommend.

A personal "firewall" being the first line? Then your concept has
already lost.

Again, it works well for many of my customer's needs.

Now, you _believe_ that it works well. Provably it doesn't.

The problem is there is not a straight forward setup for most users to
get as secure as many of you people trolling the security forums are
privy to.

And personal "firewalls" won't help.

This simple explanation is to get people started. What I have outlined
does the job for someone on a budget and not knowing all the ins and
outs of hardware firewalls and other security means.

So why don't you get people "started" instead of offering them bullshit
non-solutions?

Many of my clients do not want to spend a lot of money.

Why spending any money for home computer security at all? A pure waste.

Time. How long does it take to setup a relatively secure home network?

Ehm... about 5 minutes.

How long does it take an amateur?

Ehm... about 2 minutes.

You'd be foolish to assume everyone
has, or even wants, to spend any time at all on setting up a strong
network at home,

So why do you offer personal "firewalls" which requires a lot of time
and knowledge to still achieve nothing at all?

Think of people who don't spend a lot of time thinking about computers
at all, much less security.

Damn, I need a macro for pointing you over the same thing repeatedly.

Again, I would appreciate any feedback that is constructive about ways
to improve the process, additional steps, or effort for helping people
be more secure all around.

You've already got sufficient:

- disable unnecessary services
- use a restricted user account just like any other sane computer user
- don't run defective applications
- don't turn of your brain when turning on the computer
.