Re: The Coalition against Personal Firewalls

zzy <anon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are personal firewalls really useless? If I disable the PFW on my laptop
and connect it directly to the Internet, will all those port scans fail,
and nothing pernicious ever get into my system?

Yes. Yes. If you're not offering services or just using the
Windows-Firewall.

I doubt it.

Try it. BTW: Port scans are no attacks.

Yours,
VB.
--
At first there was the word. And the word was Content-type: text/plain

  • Re: The Coalition against Personal Firewalls
    ... zzy wrote: ... and connect it directly to the Internet, will all those port scans fail, and nothing pernicious ever get into my system? ... If there's something better that "Joe Average" can set up and use reliably without learning the minutia of Internet communications, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: The Coalition against Personal Firewalls
    ... If I disable the PFW on my laptop and connect it directly to the Internet, will all those port scans fail, and nothing pernicious ever get into my system? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Linux als Router
    ... # Enter all trusted network interfaces here. ... # which should be available to the internet and set FW_ROUTE to yes. ... space separated list of ports, ... # Packets to silently reject without log message. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: SharePoint 3.0: problems with external access
    ... "Go to 'Alternate Access Mappings' and in the 'Internet Zone' for your ... Port 443 won't work because it is already used by the Default Web Site. ... What you need to do is create a wildcard certificate and use it in ISA. ... The steps to publish WSS 3.0 applications behind ISA 2004 are the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: companyweb from RWW
    ... "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: ... internet should tell the tale, ... Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP] ... This site is the default web site. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)