Re: The Coalition against Personal Firewalls

Are personal firewalls really useless? If I disable the PFW on my laptop and connect it directly to the Internet, will all those port scans fail, and nothing pernicious ever get into my system?

I doubt it.

If there's something better that "Joe Average" can set up and use reliably without learning the minutia of Internet communications, what is it?

  • Re: Network Cable Unplugged error
    ... I have an XP sp2 pc connected to my broadband cable via a USB port. ... that internet connection so that if i want to connect my laptop ...
  • Re: Network Cable Unplugged error
    ... I have an XP sp2 pc connected to my broadband cable via a USB port. ... that internet connection so that if i want to connect my laptop ...
  • Re: Network Cable Unplugged error
    ... I have an XP sp2 pc connected to my broadband cable via a USB port. ... that internet connection so that if i want to connect my laptop ...
  • Re: Linux als Router
    ... # Enter all trusted network interfaces here. ... # which should be available to the internet and set FW_ROUTE to yes. ... space separated list of ports, ... # Packets to silently reject without log message. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: SharePoint 3.0: problems with external access
    ... "Go to 'Alternate Access Mappings' and in the 'Internet Zone' for your ... Port 443 won't work because it is already used by the Default Web Site. ... What you need to do is create a wildcard certificate and use it in ISA. ... The steps to publish WSS 3.0 applications behind ISA 2004 are the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)