Re: Firewalls, mail, and port 56341

Evan Platt wrote:

I see traffic source port 1273, dst port 113, then source 113,
destination 1273.

And I just solved it, thank you... :-D

I had to allow IGMP, and open up port 113 source, any incoming port.

Eh, huh?

incoming: someone:somewhere -> you:113/tcp
outgoing: you:113/tcp -> someone:somewhere
you:icmp(3) -> someone:somewhere

Well what I meant was any software you download now days phones home.

And I meant: this is bullshit.

No thank you, I like a little control over what program phones home.

If some software actually wants to phone home, it will either shut down,
ignore or circumvent your packet filter. If it doesn't want to do so,
then it can be easily configured to not make any connection attempts.

The latter one is usually falsely named "phone home", I'd rather call it
stupidity. In any case, it is superfluos.

  • Trying to make phone calls from Outlook 2003
    ... *I can have a perfect Audio Conversation using Yahoo Messenger and my ... I have a phone line going into the incoming port of my computer (Modem Card) ... The Destination phone rings, and answers the call. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.configuration)
  • Trying to make a phone call from Outlook 2003
    ... *I can have a perfect Audio Conversation using Yahoo Messenger and my ... I have a phone line going into the incoming port of my computer (Modem Card) ... The Destination phone rings, and answers the call. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)