Re: Firewalls, mail, and port 56341

Evan Platt wrote:

Oh, and your logging function doesn't show you an inbound connection
attempt at IdentD/Auth (TCP/113)?

Nope.

As this is unexpected, did you utilize a packet sniffer to verify these
results? Can you install such one at or near the SMTP server?

Where's your firewall rule to either
allow or at least reject (with TCP-RST) such connections?

Well, I added a rule to allow all inbound and outbound connections on
the entire netblock the mail server is on.

And where exactly? Before or after the typical TCP state check rule?

Did I mention that if I switch to a mail server (running port 25) on
an entirely different network, it works fine, no delay?

Hm... could this be a ingress filter rule?

Eh... uninstallation Kerio? This piece of bitjunk will always break your
network.

Any recommendations for a good free firewall?

s/firewall/host-based packet filter/

casual: Windows Firewall is fine
advanced: Win-IPFW <http://wipfw.sf.net>

<humbly> I obviously don't know as much about TCP/IP as you oh great
one. As I mentioned, same results running the standard windows
firewall.

Windows firewall blocks local listen()s by default. Did you create an
exception rule?

  • Re: Server 2008 with Hyper-V - domain controller - Firewall GUIs show firewall ON, but n
    ... This physical computer has only one network adapter and there are virtual machines that communicate with each other, other LAN attached computers and the Internet, so yes, there is a virtual network linked to the NIC. ... If I run the Start, Administrative Tools, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security it tells me: ... some settings are controlled by Group Policy ... 88 TCP Any ...
  • Re: File sharing one-way-only on 1 pc of 4
    ... Chuck wrote: ... All of the machines can read and write files to and from each-other, ... This one 'sees itself' on the network, ... My windows firewall service is stopped, and I cannot restart it, due to ...
  • Re: File sharing one-way-only on 1 pc of 4
    ... Chuck wrote: ... All of the machines can read and write files to and from each-other, ... This one 'sees itself' on the network, ... My windows firewall service is stopped, and I cannot restart it, due to ...
  • Re: File sharing one-way-only on 1 pc of 4
    ... Let me check into your questions/suggestions, ... All of the machines can read and write files to and from each-other, ... This one 'sees itself' on the network, ... My windows firewall service is stopped, and I cannot restart it, due to ...
  • Re: ICS not among my services. What to do?
    ... Hi Wes, ... Wizard is about as useful for my setting up the most trivial network as is ... Windows Firewall on and off, ... > This service is renamed to Windows Firewall and Internet Connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)