What is this firewall alert ICMP protocol problem

I have recently put together a new PC with WinXP Home SP2 (I was previously
using Win98SE).

On both the new and the old machine, I use a Linksys BEFSR11 router with the
same configurations on both machines. I also use Zone Alarm free
V5.5.062.004

With my old Win98 machine, I never had any incoming alerts. The router
seemed to have blocked everything. Effectively the ZA was checking outgoing
traffic.

With the WinXP machine, however, I am getting quite a few alerts - mostly to
do with the following alert:

Rating : medium
Protocol : ICMP (type:3/subtype:2)
Source : 192.168.1.1
Destination : 192.168.1.100
Direction : incoming

The description states that a packet was sent but the ICMP was unreachable
and (presumably the return) was blocked.

I never got this with Win98. Is this something to do with WinXP, or is there
another problem. I know from ZA that this is not really a problem as the
firewall blocked it anyway, I would just like to know why I am getting it
and if I can stop it. It talks about something on local networks that can
cause it, but I am the only PC on the router and I have no network.

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Martin

  • Re: What is this firewall alert ICMP protocol problem
    ... On both the new and the old machine, I use a Linksys BEFSR11 router with the same configurations on both machines. ... I never had any incoming alerts. ... It talks about something on local networks that can cause it, but I am the only PC on the router and I have no network. ... You should configure the personal FW/personal host based packet filter to stop complaining about nothing. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Wie Sinus 154 Basic 3 optimal mit PC kommunizieren lassen
    ... Es gibt die Wahl zwischen WinXP und Win98SE. ... das im Router zu tun. ... naja ich war der Meinung, wenn eine aufgebaute Verbindung ... Next by Date: ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: suse is blocking ethernet card ?
    ... I use to have only winXP on my PC, but I would like to really learn ... (WinXP + Suse) ... , and whenever I'm working with linux, everything is fine, I ... under the windows the control light (of router) for the cable ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: suse is blocking ethernet card ?
    ... I use to have only winXP on my PC, but I would like to really learn ... (WinXP + Suse) ... internet under the WindowsXP is gone. ... under the windows the control light (of router) for the cable ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WinXP "breaks" my LAN
    ... I -had- three systems all connected to a Linksys router. ... All three of those systems could see each other on the LAN, could share files, and could see the Internet through my ISP. ... Why does a WinXP box break the LAN? ...