Re: Simple method to block outgoing traffic

Duane Arnold > wrote:

Really, the bottom line is who cares. If the makers of Aport want to use
an install package so what? ;-)

If I can't install it under normal conditions, I will simply not use it.

There's nothing bad with installer, just with non-working installers.

Yes, please do define what are normal conditions.

Limited User Access. It might not be the default on Windows, but the
best general advice and even one major advice from any good Microsoft
security documentation. On Windows implemented by the default "User"
template which is obviously a good recommendation from Microsoft.

If you're running on a NT based O/S and there is any kind of installer
involved at least the ones I have setup and used to install a piece of
software I have written, which may also have to register DLL(s) and make
other registry entries such as ODBC, etc etc, then it has to be done
with Admin rights that I know about on the NT based O/S.

Exactly. When some software definitely requires Admin rights for its
job, then I have no problem running the installer. Active Ports however
does not.

For the same reason I ported the complete Photoshop installation to
Limited User access , which was a big and dirty hack - but I worked.

Exe(s) don't have to be registered.

One can create an EXE/OCX combo which might be registered as well. :-)

  • Re: Simple method to block outgoing traffic
    ... If I can't install it under normal conditions, I will simply not use it. ... If you're running on a NT based O/S and there is any kind of installer involved at least the ones I have setup and used to install a piece of software I have written, which may also have to register DLLand make other registry entries such as ODBC, etc etc, then it has to be done with Admin rights that I know about on the NT based O/S. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Simple method to block outgoing traffic
    ... Duane Arnold> wrote: ... an install package so what? ... If I can't install it under normal conditions, I will simply not use it. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: Cannot turn on automatic updates nor use windows update
    ... I couldn't register the "Wuaueng.dll". ... "Install the ActiveX control required to view the website. ... gives me an error message saying that "Windows cannot find 'scf'....". ...
  • RE: Cannot turn on automatic updates nor use windows update
    ... I couldn't register the "Wuaueng.dll". ... "Install the ActiveX control required to view the website. ... Windows Update Link: ...
  • Re: Package & deployment
    ... The winsock ocx *is* the indirect dependency. ... You might manually register all the other components as well. ... (compile and install). ...