Re: Mixed network question

"Don Kelloway" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:R6N_f.3108$sq5.819@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Yes. I believe the Linksys can provide DHCP addresses within the same
network of static IP's. However if your employer has provided you
with a laptop that must use a DHCP assigned address, how do (did) they
expect you to connect to their LAN over the Internet? Certainly they
didn't just toss a laptop to you, tell you it uses DHCP and expect you
to figure it out on your own, or did they? Something is missing from
the scenario you've described, perhaps the implementation of a VPN?

I will dig further into the Linksys documentation to try and uncover the
configuration I need to support both connection methods. Your correct,
they expect that the connection will be made through a VPN tunnel and that
the average "home network" is configured to support DHCP addressing (I
asked). The access methods to their network is quite generous, dial-up or
broadband using either wireless (starbucks etc.) or hard-wired (personal
network). However, the expectation is that it will orginate from a laptop
that is configured internally by them without administrative priviledges,
so I have little control over settings of this box. I my current system
has a series of port-forwarding rules in place, thus my reason for static
addressing.

FM

  • Re: A little FYI
    ... > fix for a different problem or end up making the same configuration ... Maybe faulty network equipment, ... > to look at what might interfere with DHCP. ... you were not here as I was trying to get the card to stay ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Key words or phrases
    ... i checked the router and i checked the properties of the laptop and the ... > whole network to work that i try not to even think of the settings. ... > "George Hester" wrote in message ... > Are you using a DHCP server to the machine thay gave you that error? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Mixed network question
    ... network of static IP's. ... with a laptop that must use a DHCP assigned address, ... configuration I need to support both connection methods. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: After SBS 2003 PREM Install (Action PAK) No company web or int
    ... There's no reason why a properly configured device cannot do DHCP for your ... in an SBS network is to let SBS be primary for the DNS ... Server Error in '/' Application. ... "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Problems with Permissions
    ... For the "Network Configuration Wizard" not accessible issue, ... The DHCP not working properly issue may due to DNS not correctly ... ipconfig /all on SBS server, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)