Re: How many personal firewalls in a system?

"Rick" <rgrcpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I want to try to cut through the techno-speak about firewalls. I have
XP Home with SP2 and it has Personal Firewall in it. I also run Trend's
PC-Cillin AV software. This program ALSO has a Personal Firewall in it.
Should I not use ONLY one or the other? Does it do any good to run them
both simultaneously? I have a LAN running through a router using DSL. I
do a lot of Internet surfing so I worry about viruses and attacks. So,
am I correct? Use only one Personal Firewall at a time?

You should only implement one personal firewall at a time. You should never
implement two firewalls at the same time as they may conflict with each
other. The same philosophy should be applied to the use of AV software
which implements real-time scanning/detection.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security

  • Re: How many personal firewalls in a system?
    ... XP Home with SP2 and it has Personal Firewall in it. ... PC-Cillin AV software. ... do a lot of Internet surfing so I worry about viruses and attacks. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How many personal firewalls in a system?
    ... XP Home with SP2 and it has Personal Firewall in it. ... PC-Cillin AV software. ... XP firewall plus your anti-virus. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Why ALG.EXE is running while win FW not active ?
    ... Google found this,,,,, ... If you have a personal firewall, ... > since I'm under SP2, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Outlook Error after XP sp2
    ... A friend of mine is having a issue with his computer after installing XP ... The comp is running XP home Sp2 and Office 2000 with all office updates ... Norton antivirus and Tiny Personal Firewall 6.0 is being run on the ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Firewalls and Wireless Routers
    ... > personal firewall, like SP2 or ZA or any other, is that it requires the ... > personal firewall and break out into the Internet or local network. ... Some people have no idea what to allow or disallow access ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)