Re: guidance sought

On 31-Mar-2006, Volker Birk <bumens@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ArtDent <par@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was trying to suggest that uneducated users should use a personal
firewall.

This will not work because of design flaws in nearly any common
"Personal
Firewall".

What types of flaws are you talking about here, and are they truly
applicable for _all_ or even most malware?
If a firewall stops 90% instead of its supposed 100% of malicious
behavior, to me that is still better than 0%.

I'm suggesting that uneducated users should use the Windows-Firewall,

I do not understand your reasoning here, you say they should use something
that does half the job that some other fw does (or at least tries to).

and should not use Internet Explorer, but another web-browser.

This I agree with 100%.

Yours,
VB.

--
We apologize for the inconvenience

  • Re: guidance sought
    ... This will not work because of design flaws in nearly any common ... If "Personal Firewalls" would do that, and would not have extra security ... that no "Personal Firewall" I ever saw offered more ... security, but all of the ones, I had to see, added attack vectors a user ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... if your computer is going to connect on our network it must be configured in certain ways and behave "normally" or you won't get a connection. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Root exploit for FreeBSD
    ... for two ports to my FreeBSD portscluster nodes. ... and it gives the firewall ... US this is also quite common, at least with regards to University ... we have a handful of machines that are ...