Re: Firewalls, annual licence fee ?

optikl wrote:

Notan wrote:
optikl wrote:
Notan wrote:
Ozzie wrote:
Why are most firewall programs sold with annual licence fees ?

Surely they are not upgraded every day like Anti virus progs.
Is it really necessary to keep a firewall up to date all the time ?

I'm still running Sygate, should I be concerned it hasn't been upgraded
since its' demise last year?

Do firewalls shut down if the annual fee is not paid.?

Apologies for the questions but I do sense a rip off.
Most software firewalls will continue to fully function, without any updates.

The updates, presumably, have improvements to the software's basic function(s).

Notan
That's not quite correct, at least not for all firewalls and
specifically those that include IDS. Those firewalls have predefined
rules that deal with exploits. As new exploits are identified, the rules
are updated.

Currently, are there any software-based IDS programs for the home user?

Notan

Check out the link below. Snort is one of them.

http://www.honeypots.net/ids/products

There are a number of PFW's that include IDS, as well.

I'll have a look.

Thanks!

Notan

  • RE: IDS is dead, etc
    ... Most firewall logs are just as tough to decipher as IDSs. ... Automated security analytics is a tough animal I don't care what the system. ... firewalls and IDSs, not just IDSs. ... There is no solution to these problems, therefore IDS is dead and we ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: [security-elvandar] Re: Rather funny; looks like page defacement to me
    ... However, my opinion is that IDS sensors is needed at current time, since there ... Also i think that seperated IDS Sensors and Firewalls are better performing than ... management people who decide what hardware to buy for their network security. ... > is scheduled to speak on "Intrusion Detection is Dead, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider
    ... secure with distinct firewalls and intrusion detection systems. ... Responsibility for network audit should remain with the IDS. ... A manager makes a purchase ... invoice arrives at accounts; the accounts clerk correlates it with the ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • RE: Firewalls (was Re: IDS evaluations procedures)
    ... >> An IDS is not an attack prevention mechanism. ... >> called firewalls, and firewalls include both packet filters ... > anomalously or signature-identified traffic in mitigation. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Processing time and IDS traffic
    ... (forensics, anti-virus, IDS, firewalls, etc.) ... What I did was parse the logs into XML records and arranged them into a nice ... strategically placed IDS system and what people get from a IDS system ... - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic ...
    (Focus-IDS)