Re: Just want to keep the crap out!!

"dawg" <don't look@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:miGVf.632129$qk4.68755@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That didn't occur to me.Of course I have heard of using an older PC as a
firewall. I do have an old Compaq 333 or something w/nic. But, it's been
so
long since I read about it and it wasn't a completely in-depth article by
X-something or something X,how would I tun this old PC into a
Firewall/Router.
BTW,you guys can really drag out an argument to it's bitter end,huh?:)

Check out http://www.smoothwall.org/

Your Compaq 333 should be more than adequate. It will need two NIC's though.
Just get a cheap $15 10/100 NIC if it only has one.
It even supports three NIC's, if you want to have a "DMZ area".

Haven't set it up yet, but it is on my "to do" list. Got enough parts here
to throw something together for it. Once I get motivated, I'm wanting to
get the parts all together and stuff them into a box I'm currently using as
a wireless captive portal (running "ZoneCD"). Basically "two computers"
stuffed into one box, one will run Smoothwall and the other ZoneCD.

Give it a shot and have fun...

  • Re: Access Denied in Win XP p2p
    ... wireless router and DSL modem. ... >> is otherwise configured to not give administrative access from Compaq and Dell. ... >> Bridge Miniport") looks like the best culprit. ... >but I swear I checked it when I checked my Norton firewall. ...
  • Re: XP Home Networking Help
    ... just Microsoft firewall is running on the IBM Laptop and Norton firewall is ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Browstat Compaq ... >>Hello, I have a Compaq Desktop with XP Home Addition, an IBM Laptop with XP ...
  • Re: Can this be done?
    ... Trouble is I don't yet know how to use Linux. ... > I've got an old, slow, but trustworthy Compaq P-133 machine. ... > to set this up as a Windows based firewall connecting to my Netgear ... there) and if so, then make BIOS floppy diskettes (easy to do, the interface ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: "New Hot Deals.exe" keeps showing up on my Desktop, how to get rid of it????
    ... Another reason not to buy Compaq. ... > Compaq called the Content Monitoring Tool Service (CMTS). ... > contact the Offer Zone every 10 minutes. ... If a firewall is installed on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 2 quickies re: fire walls and quick launch
    ... >> No2 first. ... Did you try R-click drag and select "move here". ... It will tell you how to enable or>> disable the firewall. ... My>>> new computer, an HP, came with Norton firewall but I'm not going to>>> activate it but isn't>>> there also one inherent to XP? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)