Re: Zonealrm: Need to identify the source of outgoing request

You can't with a free version.

Did you check program part of the log. It should be there.

If it is not(first enable trial for Pro version from ZoneAlarm free user interface, you can restore to free version after trial version ends), then create expert rule to block all program to connect through port 80 and enable log for that rule. Leave over night and maybe you will find out. Don't do it while you are working since by blocking port 80 you wan't have access to WWW servers. You can specify time range in expert rules.

cpurvis3@xxxxxxx wrote:
I'm running ZoneAlarm free version.

Every night (it seems) I have a few ip's that ZoneAlarm is successfully
blocking going out from my pc to port 80 of the following ip's (the
names I got from ip lookups):

63.211.66.76 Level 3 Communications, Inc
146.82.218.144 Global Crossing
69.31.88.54 nLayer Communications, Inc

It appears these hosts are all running AkamaiGHost.

The logs don't indicate which process or program is originating the
request - the log's Program column is always empty.

How can I determine where/what application originated these request?
Should I allow them through?

The fact that I can't see which program/process may be associated with
the outgoing attempts - could this be because I'm using the free
version (not the pro version)?
...thanks for your help!
P.S - I have anti virus sw (from Zonealarm) - there's no indication
it's some kind of a virus.

  • Re: FYI: Security Problems Plague XP SP2 via Symantec/McAfee
    ... ZoneAlarm PRO. ... Also, ZoneAlarm ... :>> Norton System Security, Norton Utilities, etc. are another thing ... :>> Symantec has definitely lost their reputation in the past 5 years or so. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ZoneAlarm Plus Problems - New Release Of ZA
    ... I have a copy of ZoneAlarm Pro sitting here. ... system services which load during startup. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ZoneAlarm Plus Problems - New Release Of ZA
    ... I have a copy of ZoneAlarm Pro sitting here. ... system services which load during startup. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Peronal Firewall Review
    ... > PRO: Easy to use, ... > CON: If you allow an app to go through, you have to go to it and modify it ... Cookie control doesn't stop 3rd party cookie. ... Not easy to configure port access or easy to use. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Firewire intermittent loss of connection to Camera on XP Pro SP2
    ... transfer using a Fuji FinePix S2 Pro via there remote capture software called ... systems with W2K SP4 and XP Pro SP2. ... Recently on these systems running XP Pro SP2 we have intermittent ... I have since eliminated that port from the Firewall ...