Re: Firewalls, Would do you use? or would you recommend?

benson_james@xxxxxxxxx wrote on 22 Mar 2006 07:00:20 -0800:

VB agree with you there - NAT is not possible with the solution,
besides the fact the admin will be a pain in the arse with all the
services, the server will be hosted in London, we are planning on
running alot of games! BF2, looking at hosting a 64 player server,
Ghost recon - as many as possible, 2 x RVS server - upto 24 players,
maybe not all at once but there will be alot going on...

NAT - Impossible!

Not entirely - it depends on the way the game server packets are handled.
I've run Quake engine based servers (RtCW and ET) behind a NAT system,
BF1942, and BFV. I'm pretty sure I had BF2 running behind NAT while testing
just prior to removing the game servers from here at work (my clan mates and
I had too many things going on in real life to spend playing games any more,
and I decided to re-use the PCs running the game servers for my kids at
home).

Dan

  • Re: Anti virus and Firewall
    ... I have recently got a Dedicated server box for my gaming Clan and have had Debian 5 64bit installed on it. ... I used to run a game hosting company and made it a rule that game servers hosted game rooms, the web server dealt with the websites and the teamspeak/vent servers and our redirect servers where dotted around America and we used a sort of basic geo-ip type redirection. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • /dev/null/nethack 2005 is coming ...
    ... and a request for folks to volunteer servers for the Tournament. ... We have the Game server system from last year, ... let us start hooking in the Game servers. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.nethack)
  • Re: Why Linux is not getting poplular in Desktop in any Corporate world?
    ... You are the true second class citizens of the communication ... > You are like the idiots on game servers that call for a vote to kick ... > someone off a server. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: 360 Slim ships today, on sale this week(!)
    ... router is negligible compared to a home router to game servers. ... connection because every time I was on with friends that dropped as ... and was in the top 3 of a full server almost every race. ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Zone Alarm 2.6.362 alerts
    ... server program, and a specific AdminMod version that the servers are ... through Port 0, and ZA is blocking that response. ... I rarely see Port 0 traffic from game servers now, and when I do, it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)