Re: ConSeal flipping NICs

"nutso fasst" <no.replies@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:9%3Uf.3912$tN3.3052@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Triffid" <triffid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Ae2Uf.5537$ji6.313006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It would help if we knew what "rebuilding" means in this context

Thanx for the reply.

Moving same OS and programs to different MB, HDD and NICs. Old AT system's
been running near continuous 24/7 for 6 years and HDD's getting noisy.

order in which devices are enumerated on the PCI bus, in which case some

This seems unlikely, as ISA NICs were not uncommon when old system was
built. 'Twould be a very dumb algorithm for discerning which NIC was
internal.

Pisser there's 1 ruleset for 2 NICs, and that it's not editable in text
form. If there were a separate ruleset for each NIC 'twould be no problem.

juggling of NICs vs PCI slots is likely to resolve it.

The NIC for the external network is on the MB, the one for the internal
network is a gigabit PCI card. Won't the MB NIC always have a lower I/O
address than a PCI card?

Hard to believe this limitation would be built in to such a fine FW. There
must be a way around it.

"Won't the MB NIC always have a lower I/O address than a PCI card?"

Not necessarily. The first NIC the o/s detects is the first one listed. I
suspect when you rebuilt the system the gigabit NIC was installed. Hence
when the o/s detected both NICs, it chose the gigabit NIC as the first and
the one on the mobo second.

If you want to resolve this issue, rebuild the system without the gigabit
NIC installed. That way the o/s only detects the one on the mobo and hence
it becomes the first NIC. Then install the gigabit NIC and it will become
the second NIC.

In closing I will concur that the Conseal Firewall is a damn good firewall.
Probably one of the best stateful firewalls available for a PC.

--
Best regards, from Don Kelloway of Commodon Communications
Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security

  • Re: SBS 2003 messed up after sp3 install
    ... I feel this tool is a must for any SBS install. ... You might also want to check the binding order since you have 2 NICs: ... Check Internet access and Exchange mailboxes ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IIS install on XP in SBS2003 Domain
    ... Thanks for your help but I figured out that it is not IIS it is a windows ... the same thing happens everytime I install IIS. ... disable the old NICs. ... Disabling the on-board nics in BIOS is optional, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Firewall Test Setup?
    ... > hardenned linux and a firewall package. ... and a script which does the install. ... > How would I set up network to use create a false internet link to test ... I'm thinking of a computer with 3 Nics: ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IIS install on XP in SBS2003 Domain
    ... the same thing happens everytime I install IIS. ... disable the old NICs. ... Disabling the on-board nics in BIOS is optional, ... SP2 CAD workstation in a SBS2003 Domain. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS NIC Cards give Code 1
    ... But it appears something is wrong at a fairly low level - it's possible you'll get the same error regardless of what hardware you try and install - I doubt it's just networking. ... Do I perhaps have a corrupt drivers directory or more likely corruption in the registry linking network drivers? ... NIC settings to them, and then completely removing the physical nics from the box, including drivers and cleaning out devmgr. ... and my SBS server went down hard a number of time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)