Re: Belkin not-real-firewall?

Duane Arnold wrote:

Another thing, you should use Wallwatcher (free might work with the Belkin) to review the syslog or Syslog Daemon (free will work with the Belkin) and watch traffic coming to and leaving the router as someone can hack your wireless network and be all over the top of your machines wired or wireless (a personal FW would help in that area) or they can use your wireless to attack other networks or machines on the Internet.

I tried Wallwatcher and thought the graphs etc. were pretty cool, but not something I'd find time to review on a regular basis. I run Syslog Daemon because the daily summary email takes 30 seconds to review for anomalies - no need to look any deeper most days.

I don't run a PFW because I object to extraneous distractions while working. Windows Firewall only distracts me if I turn it off, so I let it run.

My Netscreen 5GT also does it's job quietly and effectively. Worth every penny IMHO, unless one prefers to make a full-time hobby of home network security monitoring - and it's competitors are even cheaper these days.

I don't see where home network security is hard or expensive. Sure you should invest a few hundred in a decent perimeter firewall, plus a day or two configuring it and the PC operating systems - but beyond that free AV, Windows Firewall, and some time spent educating the kids is about all it takes.

Triffid

  • Re: Belkin not-real-firewall?
    ... Belkin) and watch traffic coming to and leaving the router as someone can hack your wireless network and be all over the top of your machines wired or wireless or they can use your wireless to attack other networks or machines on the Internet. ... I tried Wallwatcher and thought the graphs etc. were pretty cool, but not something I'd find time to review on a regular basis. ... I run Syslog Daemon because the daily summary email takes 30 seconds to review for anomalies - no need to look any deeper most days. ... Windows Firewall only distracts me if I turn it off, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Belkin not-real-firewall?
    ... Belkin) to review the syslog or Syslog Daemon and watch traffic coming to and leaving the router as someone can hack your wireless network and be all over the top of your machines wired or wireless or they can use your wireless to attack other networks or machines on the Internet. ... Windows Firewall only distracts me if I turn it off, ... That doesn't make any sense as the Windows FW is a personal FW, unless you're talking Application Control in PFW solutions and its nuisance asking of questions to allow or not to allow something, then you're making sense. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)