Re: I am sick of windows firewall

Leythos wrote:

In article <441fc56a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bumens@xxxxxxxxxxx
says...
So for the very small benefit of "controlling what lets
itself control" you're getting huge security drawbacks. This
is what I'm critizising.

Except that they seem (some of them at least) to keep
computers protected for years where the user was compromised
monthly before.

I've personally seen a home with several kids that use the
family computer, where it was compromised every month by
things that the kids where doing, that remained free of
malware for more than a year after installing ZoneAlarm Pro (I
only tracked it for a year, that's why I say 'year' in my time
frame.).

I can understand the merit of that observation.

inbound traffic doesn't come on its own. I am sure that no
hacker/cracker is sitting at his computer monitoring my pc, so
that, as soon as I go online, he will start sending traffic to
my pc.

inbound traffic comes AFTER some outbound traffic occurs from
our pc. Our computer sends something that does something over
there somewhere, and inbound traffic starts arriving.

Thus, if we could control outbound traffic, and know that
whatever is going out from our pc is going to trusted places,
then there are much less chance that a bad inbound traffic will
arrive at our pc.

I've seen other systems protected from attack and malware by
other personal firewall applications, ones that would have
been compromised without the PFW.

--
Rawat

  • Re: Attorney generals trying to shut down usenet?
    ... control their kids, and that it's the Democrats who generally think ... control everyone and force them to comply with the rules laid down by ... conservative-types who are Republicans want, generally, simply to be ... they are only required to pay for the schools not to ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Internet Security
    ... so called outbound "control" feature. ... Promoting the idea that malware is somehow controllable ... You stay away from viruses by not installing them. ... security is a question of installing as much security software as ...
  • Re: {OT} NK has Nukes...Bambi grave concern...feel better libs?
    ... time to find a new troop. ... Our troop had no control over the guy's ... the kids were told that they ... I'm on the cot in my tent reading a book when this severe but hot ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Disabling A PC for Curfew
    ... the kids will have to learn it on their own - and it will ... my high school were the ones that went to the Catholic school through 9th ... Isn't using an app like PC timekeeper keeping the kids under control? ... manage to control themselves in college once they have a pc without PC ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: For Cathy F
    ... "Scott in Florida" ... We dont need no thought control ... Teachers leave them kids alone ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)