Re: I am sick of windows firewall

Volker Birk wrote:

V S Rawat <VSRawat@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had uninstalled zone alarm 6.1 free, and gone to xp
firewall a week ago.
But, it seems I am more sick of windows firewall because
programs keep on accessing net without having a mention in
windows firewall. I am using Thunderbird, Firefox, Free
download manager, hamster, and several such software that I
see connecting to net. But, there is not mention of them in
firewall window.

Yes. And this is intended.

Zonealarm was at least having a mention of each program that
was connecting to net.

No. Zone Alarm was tricking you by claiming this - as a matter
of fact, Zone Alarm only shows what it notices - it only
controls, what lets Zone Alarm control it.

So this is useless anyways.

- yesterday, bloody autoupdate downloaded some full 36
updates and I could not find any way of stopping that in
windows firewall.

Better keep your system up to date. A firewall cannot protect
you from every exploit in your operating systems or
applications.

So, Windows-Firewall does a good job here.

Yours,
VB.

Nice to find three die-hard Gates fans in Duane, Sebastian and
Volker.

That does bring some question about basic working of net
connections before I decide upon firewall.

I use Thunderbird as mail reader. It directly connects to net
and fetches mails. Then Why should it not appear in the list of
windows firewall?

I use Hamster to download my news. It directly connects to net
and fetches newsposts. Then Why should it not appear in the list
of windows firewall?

Both the above are appearing in za.

Now, I use xananews as my newsreader, but it doesn't connect to
net. it connects to localserver in hamster which has got
downloaded posts, and fetches posts from there.

It is not connecting to net, then why does it appear in za list?
It is not appearing in windows firewall list.

I use firefox for browsing, it is not appearing in windows
firewall list. it is appearing in za list.

I use free download manager. it is not appearing in windows
firewall list. it is appearing in za list.

When I click on a link in metapad (a notepad replacement), that
link should open in firefox. Thus, metapad doesn't directly
connect to net. firefox does.

In that case, why the hell za asks internet access permission
for metapad?

hope that will clear the fog and would help me see clearly.
--
Rawat

  • Re: Login to Windows 2003 Immediately Logs Out
    ... Well, fixmbr did not fix this problem, unfortunately. ... Windows 2003 server with Windows firewall on and not in any domain, ... connecting to it from a network might be a hassle even if I had a machine on ... the network to connect to it. ...
  • Re: Policies for laptops - Windows Firewall
    ... connecting to the domain when remote ... Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Network> ... Network Connections> Windows Firewall ... Managing Windows Firewall Profiles ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Policies for laptops - Windows Firewall
    ... far as configuration for these since they won't be connecting to the domain ... Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Network> Network ... both domain and standard profile settings and enable Windows Firewall ... Managing Windows Firewall Profiles ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Safe to connect to get Windows updates??
    ... connect these machines to the internet solely to go to the Windows ... that needed to be applied offline PRIOR to connecting in order to avoid ... picking up nastiware JUST by connecting to the Internet. ... XP/SP2 and Windows Firewall when it connects for the first time?? ...
  • Re: I am sick of windows firewall
    ... it seems I am more sick of windows firewall because ... see connecting to net. ... By using tools like Active Ports, Process Explore, TCPview and other such tools as needed, one can easily see what is running and accessing the Internet. ... the link below is where you need to be configuring in the protection of the Windows XP O/S that has a direct connection to the Internet and not the PFW solution as it starts and stops with the O/S and not some PFW solution. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)