Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites

Ryan P. wrote:
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
Triffid wrote:
Effective security requires physical, logical, and administrative
controls working in concert. Technical people prefer logical
controls because they can understand and manage them. The fact that
most logical controls (e.g. content filters) can be circumvented
does little to diminish their value, it merely reinforces the fact
they cannot solve security problems by themselves.

Volker and Sebastian claim the ability to circumvent any logical
control, therefore such controls are useless.

Which is true from a security point of view. Whether you use these
filters or not is up to you, but since skillful/determined people
will get around them they are not security measures.

But they are a deterant. Do you advocate that because any good thief
can steal my car in 30 seconds that I should not lock my door when I
park on the street over night?

Read again.

cu
59cobalt
--
"If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology."

  • Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites
    ... Technical people prefer logical controls ... filters or not is up to you, ... "If you think technology can solve your security problems, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: 2070 MX-5?
    ... process of developing either new technology or new capabilities and uses ... what sort of new features would you expect them to have added ... Full environmental controls which sense minute changes in skin temperature ... options on lesser vehicles are standard on this Mazda, ...
    (rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata)
  • Re: Reads like SF but is real
    ... analysts (real cite there, right? ... I would think that the software that controls gangs of ... Windows, because it's sort of illegal to sell it to them. ... they steal a lot of Western technology. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: what happened to the ISS Defiant?
    ... But the technology behind that was still ... Defiant controls, but even with HDTV they are are not readily visible). ... magnitude *simpler* to operate than a nuclear aircraft carrier. ... least the basics of nuclear science itself. ...
    (rec.arts.startrek.tech)
  • Re: Reads like SF but is real
    ... analysts (real cite there, right? ... I would think that the software that controls gangs of ... they steal a lot of Western technology. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)