Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites

Triffid wrote:

Jazz wrote:

I work for a K - 12 school.

In my opinion, we have some very fair rules and regulations regaurding
internet and computer use.

We use a Sonicwall firewall, 3060, I subscribe to content fltering,
which I love. It keeps out all the horrible junk that kids may
accidently come across (Or purposely) and it covers our rear.

Due to recent events, and some within the school, I have been ordered
to block myspace.com.

I have several other sites faculty and staff have asked me to block
within the content filtering section of my sonicwall admin page.

However, some students got smart, and searched google for proxy and
anonymous. Thousands of results come up, allowing them to type in any
website they like (including myspace) and surf around on it, bypassing
my firewall.

There is an option in sonicwall that says "Restrict Web Features::" and
I checked "Access to HTTP Proxy Servers" But I am still able to get to
sites via these proxy sites that shoulf be blocked...

Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Jerry

Install an internal proxy. Configure the firewall to enforce use of the internal proxy exclusively.

You may loose your life to proxy maintenance, but you will regain control.

Triffid
I have a Juniper Netscreen Firewall which has optional Surf Control Web Filter blocking based on categories, and is updated by subscription (not terribly expensive).
http://www.surfcontrol.com/Default.aspx?id=889&mnuid=1.1.9
One category is to block proxies, which it does rather well, so should grab most of them anyway and make it much harder to get around.
gr

  • Re: [fw-wiz] httport 3snf
    ... >> wouldn't have gotten SSH out of my firewall. ... > Postfix SMTP server with a wildcard MX that handed the mail that wasn't ... > destined to me off to the downstream MS stuff, and an HTTP proxy server ... All it needs is a written policx "Internet access is ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites
    ... internet and computer use. ... We use a Sonicwall firewall, 3060, I subscribe to content fltering, ... I checked "Access to HTTP Proxy Servers" But I am still able to get to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites
    ... internet and computer use. ... We use a Sonicwall firewall, 3060, I subscribe to content fltering, ... I checked "Access to HTTP Proxy Servers" But I am still able to get to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: Vista update error code 80072EE2
    ... Incorrect Internet Explorer setting. ... Proxy being used is not set correctly. ... The following programs can affect the connection to the Windows Update site. ... Sygate Personal Firewall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: cannot update the windows