Re: Changed ZA settings on the recommendations of AVG

Kerodo wrote:

In article <xn0ejevtu2s47s000@xxxxxxxxx>, VSRawat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
says...
Kerodo wrote:

In article <xn0ejc8433t62h005@xxxxxxxxx>,
VSRawat@xxxxxxxxxxxx says...
Having Zone Alarm free 6.1.737.0 on XPsp2, and AVG
Antivirus free edition.

Reading the avg manual about firewall setting, I have
done the following changes in ZA:

a) Allowed:
1. AVG E-mail scanner,
2. AVG update downloader, and,
3. generic host processor for win32

to have access to "Server" for Trusted as well as
Internet. ZA had previously set those to "not-allowed".

There's no need to give any of those programs 'Server'
rights to the Internet. I would advise just giving them
normal outbound access to the Internet, not 'Server', set
'Server' to Deny. Setting Server to Allow in the Internet
Zone just let's those programs listen for unsolicited
inbound connections, something which they don't need and
which you don't want them to have anyway, especially
Svchost.Exe.

oh.

I have removed their "server" rights. thanks for the tip.

Good move.. In general, most programs don't need 'server'
rights. You will know it when one does because it won't work
without it. One example might be p2p apps as most of them
need to be open to inbound connections.

btw, do local servers also need that right?

I use hamster which runs its local pop3/ nntp servers. It
downloads mails/news from net and supplies them by local servers
to other programs (TB, xananews).

It is working without server rights, but it has recently become
very-very slow.

thanks.

  • Re: 0x80042108
    ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights ... > and by default has web traffic enabled only i.e. no pop3 or ftp. ... >>> I can confirm that we're not running the ISA server or clients. ... Are you perhaps using an Internet Services Accelerator server? ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: fail to join domain
    ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ... Also make sure to use only the domain DNS server on all client ... I got a local LAN domain not connection to internet, ...
  • Re: Changed ZA settings on the recommendations of AVG
    ... Reading the avg manual about firewall setting, ... to have access to "Server" for Trusted as well as Internet. ... There's no need to give any of those programs 'Server' rights to the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: OE/virus query..ps I fogotted summat
    ... >> The AVG Anti Virus thingy (& also, I think things such as Norton ... >> The User's Mail Client - whether it's something like OutLook Express ... >> Virus Proxy Server. ... > That surely depend on how the client (and proxy server) are set up? ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Break off update services
    ... as the one customer of mine with SBS 2003 Premium and AVG does not have any such issues. ... Further, this is a complex network with two branch offices, all of which use the SBS as the inet gateway and update from the SBS server, not AVG's internet site. ... and ISA Server in the instance of SQL which is provided. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)