Re: Software Firewall

I was actually thinking of wiring the two together, but I didn't think it
could be done. I also didn't think about the WAP scenario either. Oh well,
live and learn I guess!

"Duane Arnold" <NotMe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
K2NNJ wrote:
Thanks for the help and info!

If it were me, I would use the wired router as the gateway router, disable
DHCP on the wireless router making it a wire/wireless AP switch still
using the MAC and whatever else wireless security the can be enabled as it
being a wire/WAP switch and plug it into that wire router. The wire
computer seems to have better security and FW features than the wireless
has like stopping *outbound*.

You can apply the information in the link to your Netgear equipment as the
principles of connecting two routers together are the same no matter if
they are two wired, two wireless or wire and wireless routes or brand
names.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=358

People run out to get a wireless router when they already have a wired
router and all they needed was a standalone WAP device plugging it into
the wire router to have wireless and went on about their business.

Duane :)

  • Re: TV service query ? ? ?
    ... a wireless router. ... a router with extended coverage. ... cable and a wireless connection that you can not see. ... is to have users downloading r/t video, large video files, or other ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: TV service query ? ? ?
    ... a wireless router. ... a router with extended coverage. ... cable and a wireless connection that you can not see. ... contract with the cable company for one legitimate internet service? ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: My Network Places
    ... Usually, in a situation like that, the owner of the router that is actually connected to the Internet, configures the router so that each individual users is isolated from the others. ... I'm not sure why you are using a bridge and separate wireless router rather than merely wirelessly connecting direct to your "provider's" router, but there is a definite plus: because you have your own wireless router, you can effectively isolate yourself from the other users on your provider's router. ... As soon as you click the "Save Settings" button, you will lose your connection, because your computer will now be on a different subnet. ... It does not provide any security and it may cause problems, ...
  • Re: bouncing connection and a netgear router..
    ... The WGR614 wireless router does NOT have a built in DSL modem. ... benchmark test between the 2nd laptop and her wireless laptop. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... DHCP running on the router. ... Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. ... you can set the SBS use fix IP by run the CEICW. ... all gust wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)