Re: Software Firewall

K2NJ wrote:
I have no way of telling if it blocks outbound. I would have to contact Netgear direct. However, I can control who uses my network. The router has a feature where you can only allow access by either IP or MAC address of a NIC.

If that router can stop outbound traffic, then you would *clearly* see the means of setting rules to stop outbound traffic by a LAN IP, port or protocol in the user manual. If you have not seen it in the user manual, then the router cannot do it.

Does the router have a syslog so that you can review traffic to from the router? I feel that is a must you should have with any router, otherwise you're blind -- very important on a wireless setup.

The MAC filtering is for the wireless I would suspect, which the MAC can be spoofed by a hacker on the wireless and they can still come at your machines on the wireless coming at the machines wired or wireless or they can just use your wireless setup to access the Internet wirelessly. The MAC filtering is good for stopping the casual user/hacker.

The IP I would suspect is for blocking by IP for inbound traffic I guess. I couldn't tell you if that's for a LAN or WAN IP or it can do both LAN and WAN IP(s) on the inbound.

Duane :)

  • Re: Connect a Wireless Router to my SBS Network
    ... I assume your DSL modem-router is acting as a router (with a WAN and a LAN ... This setup is the Airlink wireless attached to the 5-port switch? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Change wireless configuration
    ... I have them set up for ICS over a Wireless system, set up in what I think ... ICS is a MS term. ... It allows one computer to share its Internet connection with other computers in a LAN situation. ... to the Wireless Router, the XP Pro PC is connected to the Router by a ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: VPN over wireless
    ... You will still the need the Router to issue DHCP and wireless ... network but still access to the internet. ... LAN Router Wireless Router ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Workgroup Client Bridge Configuration
    ... capability for the LAN interface, in any case it only allows one IP to be specified. ... original SOHO-10 routers in service and on my router pile. ... but the gateway is 216.216.216.1, some operating systems just will not ... I mean't the one computah that's going through the Seneo wireless. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: VPN over wireless
    ... I also 'haunted' the MS wireless newsgroup with this issue. ... You will still the need the Router to issue DHCP and ... wireless to the Guest network. ... LAN Router Wireless Router ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)