Re: Software Firewall

Volker Birk wrote:
Duane Arnold <NotMe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you're not doing the high risks things with the router like port forwarding, then you should be OK.

Hm... could be a signature ;-) Duane, how should a router work without
port forwarding?

And what are you asking here? All ports on the router are closed by default to unsolicited inbound traffic. One starts opening inbound ports by using *port forwarding* that allows unsolicited traffic to come down the port or ports to Internet sever applications running on a machine, with the O/S, the Internet server applications, etc. etc not secured to face the Internet, then one has some potential problems -- no not potential problems - they got problems.

For the average home user that most likely will never use port forwarding, they are safe as the ports are closed to unsolicited inbound traffic. One starts opening those ports manually on the router to unsolicited inbound traffic and all bets are off.

Duane :)

  • Re: USR 9003: anyone any experience of configuring its firewall
    ... > I'm looking at doing some inbound port forwarding (specifically to ... I don't think the router needs a static IP from the ISP the router should ... I'll tell you that you must do a direct mapping of ports to a IP/machine, ... because there didn't seem to be port forwarding they way I have seen it ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trouble with iChat part 2
    ... The router was set to do port forwarding on the following ports. ... some routers do not play nice with iChat. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Port forwarding in Linux
    ... >slowly is because a certain group of ports isn't open. ... >the Internet through a DSL router since everyone in my family uses DSL. ... login in the router config interface (for linksys routers, ... Some routers cant handle fine the port forwarding ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Mldonkey/xmule
    ... the port forwarding in my router and then delete the ... >> getting timed out or lose connection. ... > What I meant was that you router acts the same way as a firewall ... > thread becuase I already had forwarded the ports to another computer. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Can anyone assist me in setting up a router to run with Bittorrent?
    ... I guess I'm lucky because Bittorrent is so popular. ... Can anyone help me setup my router for running efficiently ... BitTorrent requires certain inbound ports be open so ... Port forwarding allows the ports to be open ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)