Re: I'm fed up with symantec, firewall advice needed

"MS" <No.Way.Jose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi,

I'm fed up with symantec; almost every time I need a subscription
renewal for Norton AV / Internet Security I'm told my product is no
longer 'supported' and I need an upgrade, when all I want is new AV
definitions and Internet Security updates. For 2 days I've been
trying to get a response from their website but as soon as you enter
the product you want renewals for the page fails to load. Faced with
this I rang them, spent 15 mins on hold, then spoke to a very
unhelpful woman who's English was not great, answered 'exactly' to 2
of my questions (in so doing failing to answer them) and who seemed
irritated by my questions. So I will look elsewhere...

What decent firewall software should I look at for a PC running
Win2000 Pro? Is there any good free software out there? Or reasonably
priced software that will charge me a modest fee for the following
year's security updates without hitting me every time for the whole
cost of the software?

If you don't like dealing with Symantec, then stay away from ZoneAlarm.
Every time I apply another update, it breaks something else or I have to
completely reconfigure it.

I've actually had pretty good luck with Notron Internet Security on my
XP boxes. I been thinking about deleting ZoneAlarm on my old Win2000
Pro system which already has NAV on it and loading Norton Internet
Security 2006 when my NAV subscription expires in about a month.

What exactly is Norton telling you isn't supported on Win2000 Pro? My
Norton Internet Security 2006 Home Protection Pack includes "Windows
2000 Pro with SP3 or higher" in the System Requirements information
right on the box.

--
James T. White

  • Re: Nortons Or McAfee Or ??????
    ... In the past I've seen posted many complaints regarding McAfee Internet Security and Nortons System Works. ... I need to purchase a similar program but I'm worried about the complaints I see from people more experianced than I and also the cost of purchasing these programs. ... I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all without any significant problems. ...
  • Re: Nortons Or McAfee Or ??????
    ... In the past I've seen posted many complaints regarding McAfee Internet Security and Nortons System Works. ... I need to purchase a similar program but I'm worried about the complaints ... I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all without any significant problems. ...
  • Re: Which Internet Security Suite to get included with new computer?
    ... Internet Security Suite from Norton, McAfee, or Trend Micro in the purchase price. ... I am open to advice ranging from one of them being superior, to they all are inferior, to which one sucks the least, or even the one easiest to remove without hosing the system before installing a different suite. ... Vista's built-in firewall, although superior to that of WinXP, is of a rudimentary nature, intended to meet the simpler needs of most home consumers. ...
  • Re: Norton Internet Security screws up windows
    ... I had to dump Nortons Internet Security this week also.. ... competative upgrade rebate. ... > all through their support faqs and there is nothing mentioning Outlook ... > also automatically updates DAILY not weekly like Norton. ...
  • Re: I belive my XP Home o/s has been hi-jacked. Any ideas ?
    ... consider installing a first-rate internet security program: ... Norton Internet Security 2004 ... As for the Microsoft Catalog button, ...