Re: Zone Alarm & Wireless Access Point Security

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:04:45 -0800, Kerodo <loopback@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

In article <b7bsu1l190b9cpc7um1jfjb0ajp08aqp5t@xxxxxxx>,
nospam@xxxxxxxxxx says...
There are a lot of differing opinions regarding software firewalls.
It is evident that even the best hardware appliances can't keep out
all the threats. So I research the problem and do what I think is
best, to date I think that Zone Alarm is a better option that the XP
firewall.

There are a lot of folks in the industry who agree and there are
those who don't.

I used them here for years, but late last year, I bought a cheap
wireless NAT router so I could have 2 computers share the cable
connection here. Since then, I have removed the software firewalls that
I used to use. I am now so happy that I have the router. I suppose
somehow somewhere someone could (perhaps) break thru the router and get
in from the outside, but I have not seen it happen yet, and I personally
doubt it ever will. In my mind, the chances are greater that someone
could get thru a software firewall as they are more prone to bugs and
problems with config. I don't worry about outbound at all, since I keep
it clean here and it just isn't an issue.

But if you prefer ZA then fine. I prefer not to load up on tons of
security software and apps and just use some common sense and keep the
stuff off to start with. You should see some of the people on the
security forums... they must be running 2 dozen security apps. It's
ridiculous. I suspect that's all they use their machine for most of the
time.

At any rate, whatever works for you.. :)

I have a NAT router too which will pass the Gibson Research Shields
Up test without Zone Alarm even running.

My system is not overloaded with security software. I have NOD32 for
anti-virus duty, I use the MS Anti-Spyware beta (formerly Giant) and
Ewido for the really hard case Malware bugs.

While conversing in this thread, I have found numerous sources that
appear to be knowledgeable that claim that the so-called personal
firewalls are indeed a waste of time and money. Some claim that they
actually make a system more vulnerable. They might be right.

But I also found just as many people writing that software firewalls,
such as Zone Alarm, are useful and valuable applications. They might
be right too.

While Volker suggested that the Windows XP firewall was the right one
to use, this firewall consistently gets some of the worst reviews on
the web from both its users and the people in the industry who test
these applications.

Even though Volker says that outbound checking is not needed, the
word is that the new MS firewall will indeed check for outbound
connections.

One of the things that I like about Zone Alarm is that it can be
setup to quarantine certain file attachments that arrive in email.
That might be a minor plus to some people, yet it can keep a lot of
dangerous garbage out of your email and the email of the kids too.

Best of luck

.